Pumpkins have an excellent source of Vitamin A, which promotes good vision and healthy skin, teeth and bones. Pumpkin and its seeds are a good source of fiber, helping to keep you full longer. Broccoli is an excellent source of Vitamin K, Vitamin C, chromium and folate, and a very good source of dietary fiber, pantothenic acid, Vitamin B6, Vitamin E, manganese, phosphorus and choline and is available all year round.
Produce Tip: Choose smooth, deep-orange pumpkins that are heavy for their size. Cut the stem off before slicing in half. Use a spoon to scrape out the fibers and seeds. Look for broccoli stalks about 4 – 6 inches wide, with tight heads and a rounded dome. Avoid broccoli that is limp or rubbery.
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
2. Mix flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt together in large bowl. Whisk in eggs, milk and melted butter. Fold in broccoli and cheese.
3. Spoon into prepared muffin cups, filling ¾ full. Bake 13-15 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
4. Let cool 1 minute, then remove from pan to cool completely.
1. Heat oil in small skillet over medium-high heat; add broccoli, cauliflower and mushrooms and cook 2 minutes.
Health Benefit: Pumpkin and its seeds are a good source of fiber, helping to keep you full longer.
Fun Fact: The Irish brought this tradition of pumpkin carving to America. It started with carving turnips. When the Irish immigrated to the US, they found pumpkins a plenty, which were easier to carve.
1. Place pumpkin, yogurt, spinach, juice, banana, mango, cinnamon and cloves into blender or food processor.
2. Blend until smooth.
Get to know our youth!
Read about our current and former youth and their accomplishments throughout our Career Academies (TYCCA) program.
Check out the Fruit/Vegetable of the Month where The Youth Connection features produce tips, facts, and healthy recipes that you can share with the entire family!
The Youth Connection is vetted on GlobalGiving! Support our programs and donate to our GG project page “Connecting Detroit Youth to a Brighter Future!”
Shop at AmazonSmile and select The Youth Connection as your charitable organization, and Amazon will donate 0.5% of your purchase to TYC each time you order!
Donations payable to The Youth Connection by mail is:
The Youth Connection, Inc.
4777 E. Outer Drive
Detroit, MI 48234
Check out our Events page to find out information and photos of prior events and what we are organizing in the near future.
The Youth Connection is in the News! Click on the picture above for our latest press releases, news clippings and links to stories about TYC!