Peaches are available from May to September, with peak season being July to August. Peaches have a rich source of Vitamins A, C and E. Sweet corn is loaded with lutein and zeaxanthin, two phytochemicals that promote healthy vision. A midsize ear also offers a helpful 3-gram dose of dietary fiber.
Produce Tip: Look for a creamy gold to yellow under color. The red or “blush” of a peach is an indication of variety, not ripeness. Look for tassels (those things sticking up out of the top) that are brown and sticky to the touch. If they're dry or black, then it's an old ear of corn.
Prep Tip: Egg yolks can be frozen and saved for later.
Change it Up: Add other fruits you have on hand like strawberries or bananas.
Don't have lettuce or greens? Serve this dish without them.
Prep Tip: Chop a whole onion or pepper and add the extras to canned spaghetti sauce. You can also freeze them.
Change it Up: Instead of Ranch, you can use salsa, or any kind of low-fat or fat-free dressing such as Italian or French
1. In bowl, combine corn, tomato, pepper, celery, and onion.
2. Stir in dressing.
3. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
4. Serve over a bed of greens or chopped lettuce.
1. In a blender, combine all ingredients; cover and process until smooth. Pour into chilled glasses; serve immediately.
Prep Tip: Rinse canned beans under cool running water to get rid of excess sodium.
Change it Up: Use canned or frozen black-eyed peas or kidney beans instead of the lima beans.
Nutrition Tip: Beans are a wonderful source of meatless protein. They are also low in fat and high in fiber.
1. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of oil on medium and cook diced onion until it's soft, about 4 minutes.
2. Stir in 2 cups of frozen lima beans and garlic.
3. Cook until the beans are tender and warm.
4. Add diced tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Get to know our youth!
Read about our current and former youth and their accomplishments throughout our Career Academies (TYCCA) program.
Check out the Fruit/Vegetable of the Month where The Youth Connection features produce tips, facts, and healthy recipes that you can share with the entire family!
Shop at AmazonSmile and select The Youth Connection as your charitable organization, and Amazon will donate 0.5% of your holiday purchase to TYC each time you order!
Donations payable to The Youth Connection by mail is:
The Youth Connection, Inc.
4777 E. Outer Drive
Detroit, MI 48234
Check out our Events page to find out information and photos of prior events and what we are organizing in the near future.
The Youth Connection is in the News! Click on the picture above for our latest press releases, news clippings and links to stories about TYC!