According to The Michigan Department of Agriculture & Rural Development, Michigan ranks third in the nation for asparagus production, producing up to 23 million pounds annually. In fact, in 2013 the Michigan asparagus production was valued at more than $18.6 million. Michigan harvest approximately 9,000 acres annually.
Produce Tip: Look for firm, bright green spears with tightly closed tips. Avoid limp asparagus spears. Purchase asparagus in the spring to save money.
1. Preheat oven to 450°F.
2. Spray a roasting pan with cooking spray.
3. Add carrots, eggplant, and asparagus to pan. Drizzle with oil and toss until lightly coated. Bake for 20 minutes.
4. While baking, spray a large pan with nonstick cooking spray and heat over medium heat.
5. Sauté garlic and basil for about 2 minutes. Add zucchini and mushrooms; sauté until tender (about 5 minutes).
6. Add roasted vegetables to the pan and sauté 5 minutes more.
Prep Tip: Instead of boiling, cook asparagus in the microwave. Put asparagus in a microwave safe dish with about an inch of water. Cook on high until tender (about 4 minutes). Drain.
Nutrition Tip: Brown rice is higher in fiber and nutrients. You can use either in this recipe.
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Coat a 9-inch-square baking pan with cooking spray.
2. In a large pot of boiling water, cook asparagus until tender-crisp, about 10 minutes.
3. In a medium-sized bowl, combine cooked rice, salt, garlic powder, sour cream, milk, onion, and half of the cheese.
4. Spoon half of rice mixture into prepared baking pan. Arrange asparagus on top, and then spread remaining rice mixture over asparagus.
5. Bake 20 minutes. Sprinkle remaining cheese over top and bake 5 minutes more.
Prep Tip: No tortillas? Spread cream cheese directly on the turkey and roll it up.
Change it Up: Asparagus not in season? Use fresh spinach instead.
1. Put asparagus in a microwave safe dish with about an inch of water. Cook on high until
asparagus is tender (about 4 minutes). Drain.
2. Spread a thin layer of cream cheese onto each tortilla.
3. Place a slice of turkey and asparagus spears on top of the cream cheese.
4. Roll and eat.
Get to know our youth!
Read about our current and former youth and their accomplishments throughout our Career Academies (TYCCA) program.
Check out the Fruit/Vegetable of the Month where The Youth Connection features produce tips, facts, and healthy recipes that you can share with the entire family!
The Youth Connection is vetted on GlobalGiving! Support our programs and donate to our GG project page “Connecting Detroit Youth to a Brighter Future!”
Shop at AmazonSmile and select The Youth Connection as your charitable organization, and Amazon will donate 0.5% of your purchase to TYC each time you order!
Donations payable to The Youth Connection by mail is:
The Youth Connection, Inc.
4777 E. Outer Drive
Detroit, MI 48234
Check out our Events page to find out information and photos of prior events and what we are organizing in the near future.
The Youth Connection is in the News! Click on the picture above for our latest press releases, news clippings and links to stories about TYC!